Why buy canned tomato soup when you can make your own healthy version with very minimal effort? Although this recipe takes roughly 2 hours, it is so easy to make and requires literally zero effort. The perfect soup to make you feel all warm and cozy, I promise!
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 cup chicken or veg. stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Basil leaves, chiffonade, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Toss the tomatoes, garlic and bell peppers in some olive oil and place on a baking sheet in a single layer (see picture below). Roast for 40 minutes or until slightly charred. Once cool enough to touch, remove the tomato skins.
- In a pot on medium high heat, transfer in the roasted ingredients along with the stock, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend to a smooth soup, or use an immersion blender. Transfer back into the pot and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally. If some froth forms on top of the soup, remove gently with a spoon.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, transfer to a bowl and garnish with shaved parmesan and basil leaves.