I’ve been dreaming about making (and eating) the perfect chocolate cake for as long as I can remember. This cake is so moist and so chocolatey and just so damn perfect. The fluffy chocolate buttercream adds the right amount of sweetness to complement the cake.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut or light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup strong espresso coffee
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease two 8″ round baking tins and line the bases with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the cocoa powder and coffee till smooth. Add in the buttermilk and whisk till well combined. Set aside. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, then whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Change to the paddle attachment and fold in one third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk mixture, then another third of the flour mixture, then the rest of the buttermilk mixture, then the remaining flour mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two tins, level the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack. Take off the parchment and leave them to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, place the butter, salt and icing sugar into the bowl of a stand mixture and whisk on medium speed till well combined. Add in half the milk and vanilla extract and whisk on medium high speed for about 7-10 minutes till light and fluffy. Sift in the cocoa powder and the remaining milk and whisk for an additional 5 minutes.
- Once the cakes have cooled, place one onto a cake stand and spread on a thick layer of buttercream. Place the other cake on top and completely cover with buttercream. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.