Whenever I crave something that reminds me of home I always make hummus. It’s weird, but we eat A LOT of hummus in Ghana. It’s also my go to snack when I get hungry between meals. Here i’ll share my 3 favorite variations with you.
- 1 15 oz. can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 beetroot, cubed and boiled
- Salt to taste
- Combine the chick peas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, salt and just enough water in a processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste. You can always add in more water if the mixture is too thick, but it is better to start with just a couple of tablespoons. Season with more salt if necessary.
- For the avocado hummus, follow the same steps as above but this time add in the avocado with the rest of the ingredients. Repeat the same process as above with the beetroot for the beetroot hummus. Garnish with more olive oil, sumac or chili powder, and serve with pita bread, veggie sticks and some olives.